International Assistance Dog Week was created in 2009 to recognize all the devoted, hardworking assistance dogs helping individuals mitigate their disability related limitations.
Each year, International Assistance Dog Week starts the first Sunday in August.
In 2016, it’s August 7-13.
See International Assistance Dog Week’s website for more details!
The goals are to:
- Recognize and honor hardworking assistance dogs
- Raise awareness of assistance dogs
- Educate the public about the work these specially trained animals perform
- Honor the puppy raisers and trainers of assistance dogs
- Recognize heroic deeds performed by assistance dogs in our communities